In the latest update, Garmin has dispatched the Alpha 9.11 version to Instinct 2 & Instinct 2S series watches. Within a week, it is a second Alpha update for the smartwatches that comes with new additional features. Yes, the company has added the compass lock feature to the reference point app. It will provide a better and more accurate angle of degrees in the app. The fixes have also come for VO2 Max and the Phone control functions.
The new software further enhanced the WHR function. For that, you have to update Sensor Hub to a 20.05 version. Along with the new feature, there is an improvement for the Incident detection tool, where the company has minimized false positives. Finally, the company has taken care of minor bugs on the wearables. Like Fenix 7 series & Fenix 6 series, the Instinct series never had any serious issues regarding battery or other performances.
These are the only changes that occurred in the new firmware. Here is the full changelog for the Alpha 9.11 version on Instinct 2 & Instinct 2S series watches.
– Added the compass lock feature to the reference point app.
– Improved Incident detection by reducing false positives.
– Fixed a potential bug that caused the VO2 max categorization to be incorrect for multisport on the post-activity page.
– Fixed a bug causing the incorrect status text to be drawn for the Phone control.
– WHR improvements (requires Sensor Hub 20.05).
Remember, it is an Alpha version, so you can not update it from your smartwatch. First, you have to manually download the Zip file using a computer, and then install it on your Garmin Instinct 2 & 2S series.